Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Windows Update, Server 2003 Error number: 0x8024D007

I ran across this error this morning (Error number: 0x8024D007) while trying to run windows updates on a machine I just restored using BESR 8.5. The restore was to dissimilar hardware and I was having driver issues so I wanted to try Windows Update, that’s when I received the error. I googled this problem and found a number of solutions that didn't work for me. I ran a dll register script I found.

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MUCLTUI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MUWEB.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL /S
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL /S

This ran successfully but didn't fix my issue. I was also directed to download an updated Windows Update agent, that didn't fix my issue. I tried to install Service Pack 2 on this box hoping I could get closer to a resolution. SP2 failed about half way through the installation. I found a different script,

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL /s
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /s
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL /s

I had the same result with this script. I then found Microsoft KB873148, when I ran through the steps in this KB I noticed that the registry key I didn’t have access to was the "svchost" entry. Did more research and realized that this was infected with the Conficker virus and had the infamous AT1 scheduled task. Ultimately I had to reload the machine. All in a days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment