Monday, August 15, 2016

Re-balance mail DBs in a DAG

I ran into an issue where my mail DBs all ended up on one host in my DAG.  Being the DAG system was still new to me coming from Exchange 2007 SCC I had to get on google.  I found the script below that would inform me which MBX the activation preference was set to for each DB among other things.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus * -Active | Select Name,Status,MailboxServer,ActivationPreference,ContentIndexState | Format-Table -AutoSize

Once I knew everything wasn’t set to all activate on the same host I looked for a way to rebalance my mail DBs across the hosts in my DAG.  That’s when I called a former employee and asked if knew a way and to make sure I was going down the right path.  He gave me this:

From Exchange Management Shell on one of your exchange servers:
cd '.\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Scripts'

Then run this:

.\RedistributeActiveDatabases.ps1 -DagName “Your DAG Name” -BalanceDbsByActivationPreference -confirm:$false –ShowFinalDatabaseDistribution


This process only takes 5 minutes or so but when it’s done your Mail DBs will be online living on its preferred host.

No comments:

Post a Comment